In 1917 the Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. was established as a joint venture between Yokohama Electric Cable Manufacturing Company (predecessor of today’s Furukawa Electric Co.) and the United States BFGoodrich Company.
In 1920 they built their first production facility in Yokohama but 3 years later it was destroyed by the Great Kanto Earthquake. In 1929 a new plant was constructed nearby in Heian-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama. During the 1930’s the company produced many innovative tyre patterns including the Golden Ply and Y-Shape.
Their Yokohama pant was destroyed in WW2 and then the new Hiratsuka Plant was constructed in the Kanagawa Prefecture in 1952.
For the next 40 years, Yokohama expanded its operations into the US, Korea, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Australia, Taiwan, India, Canada and Germany.
1992 saw the company complete a research and development centre at the Hiratsuka Factory
From then Yokohama continued to expand their global presence into the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Belgium, Russia, Brazil and Mexico making them one of the top tyre manufacturers in the world